It's also interesting when you work for that person, ya know? You find things out about each other slowly, over a progressively monotonous amount of time. They're boring things too, like we could have had this conversation when we met, but god forbid you do that! What would you talk about for the next year?
Tonight, was one of those nights.
During dinner I was asked that question we all secretly dread because there isn't an answer to it. Unless you're that guy whose favorite movie is "Home Alone" (both of them) and we all have that friend. It's a compliment, really. They are the lucky ones. ;)
Then you have people who watch far too many TV shows (more than once), have a movie playing on a loop, and happen to have seen more movies than there are stars visible through our atmosphere.
I'm the second.
"Quel est le film que tu prefer, Danielle." He asked me.
Luckily, I told Olympe that I like Indiana Jones a lot and she kindly answered for me (she does that).
"Indiana Jones est ton favorit?"
"Oui?"
"Combien de fois?"
"Dix..."
"Dix!"
"...cette année."
"Cette année!! Oh lala" (which is the correct use of "oh lala" it's exasperation, not romance.)
**SPOILER ALERT**
When dinner was over Antoine, the father, and myself sat at the table talking about movies. He asked if I'd seen the last Indiana Jones movie.
"I didn't like it," he commented.
"Nor did I. I stopped watching it halfway through."
"It sucked."
Stated like a true fan.
I confessed that I watch too many movies and read too many books. He asked what kind. I said thrillers mostly. He asked how many I'd read so far since I got to France. I told him four. He immediately got up and grabbed a book in English that was brand new and gave it to me to read.
Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart. He said it's a funny book. That it's witty, gripping, and innovative.
"Do you remember when I first got to France, you asked me what I wanted to do?"
"Yes. Be a lawyer."
"Well, I really want to be a writer."
"That's great."
"I just get a lot of bad reactions when I tell people that."
"I don't think it's something to be ashamed of at all."
Somehow the conversation ended with us talking about different authors, styles, and finally how we both hate baseball. He's so cool. Why aren't there more people like us?
I can't decide if I got a little more French, or a little less American.
Je ne m'inquiete pas.
Bon soir.
Gonna go out with my lady, Lauren.
"Shall we preface this outing with some wine, perchance?"
We like to talk like the Oxford English Dictionary.
No comments:
Post a Comment