Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Older Folk

For those of you who haven't spent a lot of time around children, or haven't been a parent, or just don't like kids, you might not understand the concept of digressing in age when you're around them. One minute you're a confident adult and the next you're in the middle of a...
"No"
"Yes"
"No"
"Yes"
"I said NO"
"I said YES"
 ...war. It's exhausting.

So, when I went out today to grab a good old fashioned burger with some new girls I had been talking to and was excited to meet, you can imagine my relief that

  1. They are my age (older than the children)
  2. I felt as though I'd known them my entire life (it was like being with old friends)
  3. We all have experience with "older" people (you're catching on?)
It was a game changer. We all immediately had things in common, and extremely compatible personalities. They made me feel that spark that we all feel when we know we can absolutely be ourselves in front of someone. I didn't need to make a good first impression, I didn't need to put my best foot forward, or lie, or make anything sound cooler or more intense than it actually was. I just got to be me. Old Dani, who is coincidentally New Danielle. 
The name is sticking & I'm a fan.

I don't even have that much to say about it other than I felt as though my entire experience turned around after I met these girls. I'm excited to see them again, and it's as though I acquired this new energy to tackle the rest of my day. The rest of my year. The kids actually started listening to me when I went home. 

Power to the old people.
"je ne suis pas ton amie, je suis un adulte."
They did NOT see that one coming at bath time.
Win-Danielle.

No comments:

Post a Comment