Friday, September 6, 2013

Finally, some family

Today was a beautiful day and my second actual day to myself while les enfants étaient à l'école. 

So, what did I do?

When there was a brief moment of sunshine, I left the apartment and headed toward the usual Metro station at Charles de Gaulle-Étoile. I wore my favorite black skirt with little flowers on it and my black Madden boots, and my maroon sweater from Target. I got no less than two blocks away when it started POURING. I could neither go back for an umbrella nor could I continue onward. I stood under a clothing store awning until the rain passed. It was beautiful. I was lucky enough to make it to the Metro and then to my destination.

As I walked through the small courtyard I couldn't help but feel immediately at home. That feeling of comfort and familiarity began to cover me like the rain from earlier.

Back story: My friend has this aunt. I met her almost six years ago and she quickly became one of my favorite people. I wanted to know her. I wanted to be like her. She was so graceful and strong. She had these eyes, and when they were paired with her smile it was like Christmas, but like, Christmas when Santa still brings you presents and there are bites taken out of the cookies that can only be explained by the presence of Sir Nick. She was just awesome. I used to say she was the most beautiful woman I had ever met (besides my mom, cause she holds the highest honor.)

Blandine. Now, she probably doesn't even know that she had such an influence on me after the first time we met, and I'd probably sound extra creepy right now, but I don't care because as I walked through the courtyard I knew that I was about to have the best day I've had so far in France.

And I did.

I don't have any pictures but she invited me into her apartment (which, is ADORABLE I want it) and I met her son, and we soon took off for some errands and déjeuner. It was really nice to speak in English with someone I knew (even if I didn't know her that well). I felt like I could really talk to her, and she told me some things about her life that I didn't expect her to. We just had honest conversation about the family I'm working for, parts of Paris, our pasts, relationships, family, Chloé (her niece), growing up, and a few good Christian Science talks. We discussed the idea of youthfulness and age. It was like being home. She spoiled me and took me to the mall, and to a cute café where we ate to our hearts content and drank coffee while sharing fun stories and memories.

Needless to say, I'm really excited to get to know her.

Right now, I'm sitting on the couch at my host family's apartment about to watch Easy A and spend a quiet night in with Ulghor.

Viva la France.

The rain dans la rue

No comments:

Post a Comment