Saturday, September 14, 2013

Indentured Servant

The more I joke and talk about my experience here as an au pair the words "indentured servant" come to mind. Lucky for me, I have a sense of humor unparalleled by anyone I've yet met on this planet, and I find the circumstances, while grim, to be side-achingly satirical.

People back home keep asking me, have you met any French men? Is the city romantic? Do you think you'll just stay there with your lover when the year is up?

I mentioned that Olympe freaked out at me about the cookie yesterday?

Whilst I carried Dimitri and she screamed at me for two blocks, Dimitri had my back (literally as well, it was a piggy back ride) and was screaming back at her that I was nice, and fun, and a good au pair. He also kissed the back of my neck a lot.

And that ladies and gentlemen is the extent of romance I have experienced à Paris.
Besides, ya know, the cat but I hope that doesn't count.

Today was alright. I met a new girl, Carrie, who will be staying here for a year. She also, finds my situation to be hilarious and was the one who brainstormed the concept of me being an indentured servant, except sans d'argent. Carolyn bought me new boots because my Madden's had the soles ripped off and I desperately need boots in Paris. You're an idiot if you don't have some. But, as I've mentioned, I have no money and my card from America didn't work. So now Carolyn is keeping a tab going for me. We also split dinner.

I always imagined that I'd live the life of the struggling artist after college. Settle down in a small apartment, drink coffee, brood out my window, draw a lot, write when I had something to say. I romanticized it. That's kind of what I'm doing I guess. But my apartment is a closet, coffee is scarce when you're poor in Paris, and I might take up smoking just so I have something to do in my room cause the internet sucks and I can't take Ulghor upstairs.

I should probably talk to them soon.
I did start writing my comedy bit though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment