Sunday, September 15, 2013

Sunday Funday

After a night of restless sleep I awoke at 7:45 to start getting ready for church.

Today, we went to Second Church which is actually very close to me. I could easily walk there. It's beautiful. Small, compact, GREAT chairs to sit in and I don't know that I've ever remembered church seating. I will remember this church's.

The service was beautiful, en Français. I like hearing it in French because I know so many of the stories and phrases anyway, and it's fun picking them up in another language. That, and this lesson was really great this week.

After the service, Carolyn and I met up with Carrie who sat separate from us, and this dear woman, Anne, who invited us to lunch. It was quite the reception.

Anne has been in Paris for 30 years. She and her sister were born in Paris during their parents 4-year-honeymoon, but when she was very young they moved back to the states. The French culture, language, and style permeated her childhood and she and her siblings grew up speaking French and ultimately became teachers. She lived in California for a long time, and then one day decided she didn't need ANYTHING that she had acquired over the years. So she packed up and moved back to Paris. She's lived here ever since. It's so cool that an American feels so at home here. I feel like I do for the most part. I love the city, I love the layout, the walking, the sights. The language.

Lunch was great. Anne treated me-cause I'm poor-and the other two French people who accompanied us were very pleasant. It was the most French I've spoken since I got here because I wasn't afraid to, and because they were genuinely interested in what I had to say. Their kindness drew me out. I felt at home and confident in my abilities to speak and comprehend. It was great. Anne talked a lot about hospitality and how she ALWAYS invites new people to lunch to make them feel loved and secure. It's a good way to express Christianity and to help people get acquainted with others. I really appreciated this invitation, and I think when I have a steady church place I'll want to do the same thing one day.

This evening I went into the countryside to visit a family I know from camp and saw at church that morning too. The kids are great, and I loved them beforehand but I love them even more now. The kids explained to me that au pairs are supposed to be respected, treated nicely, and listened to. We talked and laughed and I remembered that I'm really good with kids.
"You were like famous at camp" one of the girls said.
"I mean, I guess."
"Even in the kitchen you always had girls hugging you."

It's nice when someone reminds you that you're actually good at what you do.
The parents were very reassuring as well and told me that I was welcome any time and to feel at home in their home. It was really amazing. The parents, Alex and Marie, also told me that my situation sounded a little "meh" not right and that I needed to have an honest conversation with my host parents and let them know that if I'm to be an employee ça va but I need to be paid, and listened to by the kids. Also, they are supposed to help with my metro apparently.

It felt great to be supported and to finally eat some ice cream.

Then I got to skype with my best, who is a goon. He lost his phone like two weeks ago so we haven't talked at all and were going through withdrawals. So, this needed to happen. I was going to take a screenshot, but he was nude so I refrained. Miss. That. Fool. It was so good to see his face and hear his voice while he demanded that I come to Florida.
Right. Let me just uproot myself from PARIS to spend a few days in Florida. That was about how much we talked cause then the internet crashed hardcore.
C'est la vie.
I will provide a visual from the past.
This describes our relationship perfectly.
And it's great when nothing can change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment