Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Another good day :)

This morning was really great. Even though I was up all night last night writing that paper, I sent it to the Dude and blah blah all is well.

I woke up early, as usual, and got ready to meet with Jess for a really cute little breakfast near the Bastille. Like I've said, Jess and I were never like BEST FRIENDS, but she's such a genuine and chill girl. It's been really nice hanging out with her here.
After lunch we met Lucie at the Louvre and walked around before going to Musée D'Orsay to look at some impressionist paintings! I've been carrying around my camera more so I can learn to use it and be prepared for beautiful things! Lucie takes photos too, she's a lot better than I am though.

There was something so authentic about seeing the paintings in person. I got a little emotional looking at one Van Gogh painting.

La Guinguette à Montmartre, 1886
It's such a beautiful painting. There's something about seeing it in France and knowing the Montmartre area that made me feel even more connected to it. The emotional experience transpired when I really studied the strokes of the painting. There are certain places where the paint was clumped up, and protruding from the canvas. Color upon color, stroke upon stroke, a tiny mountain of paint. It was process in real time. I just pictured Van Gogh sitting and painting over and over the tiny section until he got it just right. For those of you who don't know much about art or writing or whatever, process is a HUGE concept that gives the artist all the freedom to create until they get the result they desire. Process isn't about perfection, it's about the development of that moment. Nothing is ever perfect, but it can always be finished :)

It was just a beautiful moment where I felt as though I was moving through time, and could actually acknowledge that he was a real human being. It was evidence of his actions and his mind. It was just really beautiful. And this painting is one of my favorite from the post-impressionistic era. Beautiful.

 So, that's the art historian in me having a romantic day at the museum.

THEN, tonight the Arc de Triomphe was free to go up to the top. It was amazing. I had some dude I'd met through MeetUp, Jimmy, in fact, "meet up" with us at the Champs Élysées before crossing under the most dangerous round-about in the world to the Arc. He's pretty awesome actually. We're gonna be bros. It's special and refreshing to have a dude that like, I can just chill with. We walked home from Lauren's together and just like recapped our relationship history. Instant homies after a convo like that. 
Also, I was telling him about this very special trinket that was given to me. 

"That's a Brand New song"
"No way"
"Way dawg"
"What's it called?"
"Jude Law and a Semester Abroad"

Tell all the English [French] boys you meet, about the American boy back in the states. The American boy you used to date. Who would do anything you say. 

Indeed, it is. Not the kindest song either for a girl involved in a break-up.
You learn something new everyday.

Here's some pics...

Croque monsieur
elephant at Musée D'Orsay

me lauren and jimmy...weird blurs i dunno
So here's a present to let you know I still exist. I hope the next boy that you kiss has something terribly contagious on his lips...

No comments:

Post a Comment