Sunday, August 25, 2013

Day Two: Sink or Swim

This morning I was up and at 'em at 8:30. I read the lesson and took a shower. It was raining and freezing in the house, which didn't help how scared I was about the adventure I had just embarked on. I still felt pretty uncomfortable upon going downstairs and eating. But I realized that it's either sink or swim in a situation like this. I can't leave. I can't be rude. I can't just ignore them and hide (which, I'm guilty of doing sometimes) and what's more is that I don't WANT to hide. It's terrifying but I want to take on the next year full force. Sink. or. Swim. I plan on swimming.

"Embrace the process." Wise words from my friend's mother, and also the motto of our Prague Abroad 2011. Process. It's a really humbling experience to just sit and listen all day. I didn't talk very much but it can be peaceful just observing, learning, opening up one's self.

Dimitri, who is 5, called me "Danielle le plus Gentille" which was adorable and then he gave me a tiny toy jewel that I put on my phone. He's so cute. I want him to like me just so I can hold him all the time and swing him around. Olympe, who is 7 almost 8, and I played in her room. She told me my French wasn't bad but that it would get better.

Eléonore, the mother, told me that their last two au pairs said that within two weeks they were able to understand better and were more capable of responding. My friend's mom said the same thing. So, in two weeks hopefully I'll have a better grasp. Eléonore also told me that I was very courageous for coming to France. Courageous or a fool. I still haven't decided.

This afternoon, the kids got in a huge fight and Dimitri was making fun of Olympe and I started writing about it in my moleskine and at that EXACT moment, Eléonore said in French, "Danielle is probably writing in her journal right now that the kids are fighting, and they are crazy in France." It was hilarious, because that's precisely what I was doing. Then we ended up laughing at them because, well, they were being crazy.

Olympe and I painted a picture of a sun setting over the ocean, and she even included a rather detailed reflection. It was actually pretty sophisticated. Later on, I was putting the kids to sleep while their mom dropped their dad off at the train station and Dimitri kept asking me for something. Le phoque....uhh what did you just call me? Le phoque...I think he's swearing at me.

So, I did what all resourceful people do. I went into Olympe's room and after going back and forth in broken dialogue and miming we came to the conclusion that he wanted his stuffed animal seal. Un phoque. Génial! 
Boom. That's how it's done. Not a bad start.

By the way, this is Ulghor. He is the man.
He's pretty much in love with me.
Probably because I don't sit on him when I say hello.


1 comment:

  1. A wonderful commencement with the family and children. You'll have the children loving you in no time. . . if they don't already do. Love the cat.

    Very nice writing, young lady!

    ReplyDelete