Saturday, August 24, 2013

Day One

Dear People,

For those of you who don't know, I am in France. Paris, France. I will be here for the next year or so as an au pair. It's terrifying and exciting and I'm convinced that after prevailing through a language barrier I will be fit to take on any challenge life throws at me.

D'accord. I can start at the beginning with the facts.

Today I touched down in Charles de Gaulle (Roissy) airport. After brushing my teeth, washing my face, applying deodorant and changing into a fresh shirt and Sperry's I was ready to meet my family. How ready can you really be?

They are beautiful. Even just to look at they were perfect. The parents are lean and tall with beautiful features. The children both kissed me hello and gave me a sign they had made. Then the French began.

The day consisted of formalities and the parents speaking to me in English as best as they could. We drove an hour from the airport to their "weekend housà la campagne for the week. School starts next Tuesday for the kids. It was definitely going to be a long week. I started thinking "I've made a huge mistake" as I went upstairs to nap after 24 hours of travel.

At dinner, the kids threw a tantrum and I was reminded that despite my discomfort kids were going to be kids, and parents will always be embarrassed of poor behavior.

This excursion to France started out as a right idea, and it can only unfold as a right idea. I have everything I need every minute, and great friends to talk to back home when I get the chance.

Bon Soir.

First Sunset in France.

1 comment: