Monday, August 26, 2013

Day Three: First time out of the house

The sun is out today!

It's also really warm out, and it's beautiful. You'd have to be here. I've been thinking a lot about the word "publishing" since this morning. I think it's a pretty cool concept when translated into a personal self expression. What am I publishing about myself? What genre am I writing my own story/life in? Comedy? Tragedy? Teen's Choice Award Nomination? Still figuring it out.

So, we hopped in their super nice Lexus and went to the intermarché super (supermarket). I pushed the cart, the usual duties of a college grad, and Dimitri kissed me six thousand times. Après (after) we went to the park and I went on a spinning thing with Olympe and Dimitri made a tiny friend who WOULD NOT stop laughing as they went down the slide. I've decided that children, as a life form, are all the same no matter where in the world you go. They laugh, they cry, they freak out, and they love you for no reason. When we got home we had a delicious déjeuner (lunch) of thinly sliced steak that was pretty rare but SO good. I am loving the 4 meals a day and the food. And le fromage (the cheese) of course. After lunch, Olympe's friend Mary came over, so Dimitri and I played soccer. Il est un grand tricheur! (He's a big cheater). He plays by his own rules and it is impossible for me to score. NO MERCY!

Mary was really cute. Tiny and blonde and she did a lot of cartwheels. Again, all kids are the same yet very unique. Olympe can't do a cartwheel to save her life. When Mary had left I sat at the table and drank coffee and wrote in my moleskine. My nose was running a bit and Eléonore stopped and asked if I was crying or if my nose was running. It was super awkward and SUPER funny. She said their last au pair was good but she cried ALL THE TIME. I haven't cried at all. Point Dani.

At another point today, Dimitri surprised me by walking into my room, getting onto my bed next to me and showing me a huge book of Ferraris. He sat in my lap and showed me his favorite. It was adorable. I was not complaining. Later, when he saw me writing on my computer he asked if I was okay. It's just thoughtful and so cute.

I've decided that this was a good thing to do. Jumping into another country, culture, language is probably the hardest thing I've ever done, and I'm handling it pretty well I'd say.

café and moleskine

Their beautiful house à la campagne

No comments:

Post a Comment