Thursday, August 29, 2013

Day Six: à la piscine

This morning, I got to talk to my mom for the first time since I got here. It's great for two reasons, one I missed her and two it was the most I've spoken in 6 days. It felt amazing to be understood...I realize now that I'm saying my mother understood me. It's not a completely unreasonable possibility. I've made my peace with it. She's a good woman. LATER in the morning I was left alone with the children whilst Eléonore ran some errands. We all played quietly by ourselves. I didn't play, I read a book. I was sitting in the parents' room reading, when Dimitri wanted some paper so that he could draw. I didn't know where they kept the paper so I went into my room and retrieved one of my larger moleskines that has pages in the back one can easily tear out. As I was flipping to find said pages, I came across a random page in the middle with some inconspicuous tiny handwriting at the top.
It read:

"Dani, remember that one time you thought you sucked...you don't." dated 10.22.2012

Apparently almost a year ago I thought it would be a good idea to write myself a pep-talk. I came across it at the perfect moment. 

THEN we went à la piscine!! 

Maybe I peed in it, maybe I didn't. You'll never know, and I'll never say. Maybe Americans are the only ones who pee in public pools...or pools at all...

Some other things I've noticed is that I still don't like public pools. I don't care that they are French. Kids still run around the wet concrete, jump too close to the edge of the pool, and cannot FOR THE LIFE OF THEM follow the rules clearly stated on the water slide. 'Nough said.

I digress...

I played with the cat today, he's my boyfriend, it's sad, it's lonely, but holy god Ulghor is the man. We played today, and he goes out of his way to address me when he sees me. He also licks me, which is adorable until you see him throw up.

Fun Fact: Apparently, he jumped out their fourth story window in Paris and is like 40% metal machine cat. I dig that. He's like the Bruce Willis of cats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment